Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Monday, September 12, 2011

My Full Basket ! ! ! ! !

When I jumped back into real gardening (not just containers on my balcony which was right outside my door) I quickly realized that I needed a way to get the stuff back to the house without making a million trips.  SO I found a garden hood which is a great sturdy basket with a wire bottom so you can rinse your picks and it will drain right out. 
Well Like most times once I got it I didn’t really need it.  Even though I totally needed something before.  But this year I was finally able to really use it.  I can’t tell you how awesome it was to just go and pick stuff and have a place to put it.  Usually I was putting them in my shirt, my skirt, my hands or once in a while a container that I grabbed (ex raspberries). 

Turns out it actually holds a lot.  I wanted to pick as much as I could before it all blew away or got broken and ended up with the following: tomatoes, cayenne peppers, jalapenos, lettuce, cucumbers (big and small), basil, and even a couple of egg plants.  It actually ended up being a pretty hefty load.  YEAH!  At last! Now if only the rest of the tomatoes would ripen.  I want some fresh sauce. 

Now I get to add some mystery peppers, tomatoes (that were supposed to be plum) and lots of black and white cherries.  Looks like my orange and red cherries are just rotting right now.  I've been able to get tons of basil, greens and egg plants this year.  Funny how my staples aren't doing as well, but things I've never had any luck with at all are doing fantastic this year.  Funny are mother nature works that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment