Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mother Nature Keeps on Ticking

I’m happy to say that some of the garden has survived, and besides the complete jungle out there you can’t really tell there was any damage on the surface.  It’s been an absolutely insane month since the storm.  Thankfully all our deadlines (tax) got extended so that has helped.  However, I still couldn’t tell you what I’ve been doing for the last month.  Or even how a month has even gone by. 

The flowers have straightened themselves out and are as tall as ever. Guess there’s no beating mother nature down.   Luckily Irene didn’t destroy my cotton plants which are still going.  I’ve gotten multiple blooms off them this year which really aren’t that exciting.  The seed pods though are getting bigger by the day so I can’t wait until they finally burst open.  I bet it’s going to look very cool with this little cotton ball in the garden.  I will say I have definitely forgotten just how tall Cosmos can get when they are happy.  I think some rearranging is in order for next year. 

The tomatoes which my girl friend forgot to mention were the TALL ones have just about flopped over everything.  Unfortunately they have not fared well even after the storm.  BUT . . . . . I was finally able to get enough to try this pasta dish that started the whole journey into the world of multi colored tomatoes and let me tell you completely fantastic and totally worth it.  Maybe next year I’ll figure out how to can and be able to keep some of it for the winter months.  Our corn is still going and managed to stay completely upright.  I even have a few ears of popcorn growing.  I’m crossing my fingers that they get big enough to actually get something.  Ahhhh so many goals & wishes but simply not enough time to get them all done. 

Next on our list is our new veggie garden.  We just got the wood delivered so hoping we can get that is pretty shortly and have it ready to go for next spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment