Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Is that Butter? ? ? ? ? Now what?

It’s amazing how you can’t do something if you try, but you always manage to do it when you least expect it.  Last year when I started making bread I thought it would be cool to make my own butter to go with it.  I thought it was only fitting.  So I got some heavy cream, did some research and started whipping, and whipping, and whipping and of course nothing happened.  Imagine my surprise this past weekend. 

I was making a dessert that needed some whipped cream.  It only needed a little bit so I tried making it in a different container than I usually use.  My immersion blender has a whisk attachment, and when I turned it on it causes that cream to fill the whole container (think tall cup).  Well I thought I had whipped it enough, but when I went to pipe it onto my cupcakes it looked a little watery.  I still had some leftover so I decided to whip it some more so I could use it later.  Well it didn’t get thicker.  Instead it got more watery, so I whipped it some more.  Next thing I know I’ve got CLUMPS!

Then I got excited.  So I kept going and guess what.  I GOT BUTTER! ! ! ! Well that was what I was guessing it was anyway.  Turns out it was.  I kept going so the butter had completely separated out.  I put it in a container to take to work (a co worker I knew use to make butter) and asked now what.  Turns out you don’t really need to do anything else.  So we put it on some bagels and it was AWESOME! Turns out it tasted better with a little salt added for the bagel, but seriously how awesome is that.  Fresh butter that I actually managed to make.  Of course I couldn’t do it when I tried, but now I know what container to use to make butter (note to self not a good container to make whipped cream in).  Now where is some fresh home made bread?

No comments:

Post a Comment