Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Irene August of 2011

WOW can a little tropical storm do a lot of damage.  I’ll be honest I never thought it would really hit us, and even if it did I didn’t think it would hit us that hard.  So I picked up made sure everything that could get picked up by wind was taken care of.  Brought all my plants inside, and actually filled some containers with water, filled the bath tubs and at the last minute filled a bucket for the dogs. 

We lost a tree and it seems that my garden has seen better days since the storm.  Trees were down all over our town and for once we actually lost all power and cell service for about 6 days in my area.  Work had power so that made it a little easier to get cold water on a daily basis.  We also had the pool in the backyard which also made it easy and a little fun to actually bathe out there.  At least we were clearn. 

Even things that looked like they made it are not very happy right now.  The cherry tomatoes are rotting on the bushes and my watermelon is just dying back.  Looks like I’ll have to wait until next year for some real results.  I did however find a watermelon out front which I think is the orange glow that seems to be growing quite well.  Can’t wait to see if it grows and I get anything. 

Flowers seem to be hanging in there.  Some of my cosmos split straight down the middle, but are still going.  If I thought my front was a jungle before the storm it’s deep jungle now.  I did finally found a spot that the cotton seems to be enjoying and that has made it through the storm just fine.  I can’t wait to see if I actually get a cotton ball with new seeds in it from the plant.

Crossing my fingers.!



Some of the fun from IRENE
two trees at the top of our street.  One tree fell onto the other, but at least it was stopped befoe it actually landed on the power box.  Both trees were quickly removed. 

This is the tree we lost.  It was actually struck by lightning a few years ago, and was doing fine, but it was no match for IRENE.  This is right after it fell before the town came.  It was blocking about 3/4 of the rd which is about 4 cars wide. 
The town came by prett quick to get it out of the rd.  they cut off the branches that were along one side and used a snow plow to puch it back into our yard.  Thankfully they didn't puch it into our baby cherry tree. 
The garden in front of the deck.  It's amazing how straight everything was until the storm.  Thankfully even the flowers that were split are still hanging on and haven't started to dye back. Hopefully they'll make it through the season.  it's a total jungle now without question. 


No comments:

Post a Comment