Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Kicking and Screaming

I’m personally a fan of the extremes.  I love Summer and I love Winter.  Fall I don’t particularly care for because I’m usually not ready for summer to be over, and as much as I should love spring because of the gardening aspect I’m afraid it’s just too muddy overall for me.  It’s chilly and frankly just teases you with the cold sun that looks like it should be a lot warmer.  So here we are again.  Somehow Summer has managed to race by and I’m not sure where it went.  Like it or not I know summer is coming to an end.  My morning glories are already getting burned by the cold nights, my tomatoes and cucumbers were never the same after the storm and have no chance of kicking into another round at this point.  And slowly the black eyed susans that bloom so brightly for the better half of the summer are finally winding down. 

In New England summer seems to come and go this time of year.  We got really cold where I actually broke out some sweaters already, and yet this past weekend I was wearing shorts again.  However there is no fooling the trees that surround me.  As I lay in bed what was once a view of lush green is beginning to become a blend of reds, yellows and oranges, a sure sign colder days are ahead.  Driving around you can see the fields sprinkled with orange globes as the pumpkin plants die back to leave the fruits of their labor behind to be picked.  Our pool is still open, the last holdout of summer.  Once we cave there I’ll be looking forward to the days of lounging in front of a warm fire while the world is blanketed in white.  (while dreaming and planning next year’s garden of course) In the meantime though I’ll head into fall kicking and screaming as I hold on to the last few days that feel like summer regardless of what the calendar says. 

No comments:

Post a Comment