Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Winter Garden 2011

So we’re trying the winter garden thing again this year.  Crossing my fingers we get better luck.  Unfortunately we’re not off to a great start.  The tomatoes that I planted dried out and shriveled up into nothing.  The zucchini I planted didn’t do much before it decided it would rather die, and some of my seeds just didn’t sprout and I never made it back to reseed them. 

 Now for the good news, the Hot cherry, cayenne, chocolate, reg & mini chocolate peppers that I planted are doing great.  I have one volunteer tomato plant that is awesome and already has fruit on it.  I wanted to transplant some more plants from the garden, but after winter storm Alfred I don’t think most of what is left outside is very happy right now. 
For he ha’s because we really are switching to wood this year I’m going to try to reseed and see what happens.  I’m going with the idea that worse case is no worse than the current situation.  Maybe we’ll even get some strawberries this year.  I’ve got 4 pots of them set up as an experiment this winter to see what happens. 

I really need to keep in mind that this thing needs to be up and running by the beginning of august.  That’s when I put in the plants that are doing the best right now.  What can I say gardening is an experience that is always evolving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment