Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I have to say that I absolutely love having an herb garden.  When we are cooking recipes that call for fresh herbs we usually have to buy a fairly large package at the store, or a fairly large bunch even at the market.  But what happens when you only need a few leaves? Typically that means that you’re buying the whole thing and unless you have a use for the remaining amount you end up throwing it away.  As we went to prepare our turkey we needed both rosemary and fresh sage (but only 6 leaves).  I was with pleasure that I ran outside to pick some fresh sage and walk over to my winter garden and clip some fresh rosemary. 

I couldn’t use my potatoes because they were rotting, but I’m hoping that in the coming years I will be able to pull more and more from my garden.  While herbs may be a simple start they are on the top of my list of ways to get a huge bang out of the garden.

Menu this year
Turkey brined with Alton John’s good eats brine
Loaded mashed potatoes
Baby peas (just for my dad)
Orange glazed carrots and snow peas
Sweet potato rosettes
Fresh baked dinner rolls (from stratch)
Stove top stuffing (my family loves it sorry)
Cesar Salad
Pumpkin roll with vanilla ice cream for dessert

Leftovers
Loaded mashed potato soup
Turkey casserole
Turkey stock
Turkey meat frozen for later

No comments:

Post a Comment