Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Potatoes 2011

I had started with potatoes leftover from the kitchen mostly just to play and see what would happen.  They were so fantastic that I really wanted to try to grow some.  And of course in true me fashion wanted to try the weird and unusual that of course (at least at that time for me ) can’t be found in the store.  So for my 2010 Garden I got some of the potato bags from Gardener’s Supply and some actual seed potatoes from a couple places.  Ended up trying Sweet potatoes, Yukon golds, Blue and fingerlings.  We got going VERY late because of the flooding in New England last year but decided to try them any way.  Boy were we glad that we did try them.  While we didn’t get a whole lot we got enough to try and enough to seed for 2011.  They were incredibly buttery by themselves and the blue had an awesome woody taste that I had never had before. 

So 2011 came and learning from last year I was able to keep enough for seed for the Yukon gold, blue and fingerlings, and we even managed to get them into the ground on time.  However, we weren’t able to get the bags back filled on time.  So while I was proud of myself for keeping my own ( I even started my sweet potatoes from an extra one I had) My results weren’t fantastic.  Between the 4 bags that we had going we only got about 8 pounds total.  No where near what we really should have in a perfect world, but better then last year.  All the potatoes were also all on the bottom of the bags.  I think if we had gotten it back filled we may have had better luck. 

The worse part about this year was we left them outside to dry and they all got rained on.  Dried them off and brought them, but unfortunately they did not make it.  This year we didn’t even get as far as trying them.  Now I’m really motivated to get it right next year.   At least this year was better than last year so we're heading in the right direction. 


My niece and my father grabbing the potatoes.  He's like a kid in a candy store. 
Well that's what we managed to pull out of the bags.  Not too bad.  Very excited about the sweet potatoes this year. Top Left blue, top right fingerlings (mine are really big), bottom right yukon gold (some really good ones), and finally sweet potatoes.  


These were our totals.  First year we actually weighed them.  the .16 was the bag we used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment