Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Avocado! ! ! !

Life outside may have taken a long winters nap, but my garden inside continues to keep me busy.  So during the Logee's Black Friday sale I decided to continue to expand my edible collection and picked up this Day Avocado.  I've recently been intruced to avacados and have found a new love of guacomole.  Avocados generally aren't that cheap, so I thought I would give it a try and see if I couldn't just grow it.  I can't tell you how excited I am that it has continued to grow and started putting out flowers.  I didn't actually know what was actually growing, but after a quick google search I found that they ar all flower bunches.  YEAH! ! ! !  


My avocado almost 2 months after I brought it home



Flower bunches !

According to my lovely google search each one of these bunches creates 2-3 avocados.  I don't have a pollinator for it so we'll have to wait and see what happens with it.  I think I'll be happy if I even get one my first year.  I don't think this is the small black one that is similar to the hass which is popular in stores, but I'll try anything.  I'm sure it will taste fabulous if I can get it to mature.  Don't think you can get any fresher than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment