Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Favorite Pictures From 2010

2010 was a whirl wind of a year, and while it had it's ups and downs mother nature never fails to provide us with some awe as she keeps on trucking.  Here are some of my favorite pictures from 2010. 


This is how my year started out.  While this has nothing to do with gardening I think it's one of my favorite pictures because it's amazing what water will do.  You can't stop mother nature if she's on a mission, and apparently you can't stop magazines from busting a shelf at it's seems.  That's about 2 feet of water.  I'm pretty sure we ended up breaking the shelf to get the magazines out they expanded so much and were so tight in there. 



This is from my front walk.  The dogs use to love running through the garden once the snow was down.  Unfortunately this beautiful lavender rose was a favorite spot.  I thought I had lost it from being broken down so many times, but come spring it started like magic.  In the background you can see some blue lupin that I had just started from seed .  It was a fantastic spring combination. 



This is a luffa plant.  Not a very pretty plant, but it has HUGE leaves that make for a great green privacy screen.  It got a little out of control this year, but this was the first time it actually grew.  I found out it's quite aggressive with it's tendrils grabbing onto just about anything it can reach.  Apparently no one told the luffa it should grab onto something other than itself.  Never did keep track of it to see what become of it. 



One of my favorite summer flowers around here.  These are a cross between various morning glories that I have grown.  All of these were collected from my plants last year.  They had a great range of colors and made a nice colorful screen on one side of our pool this summer even though they got planted very late.  I love that once these start they keep on going until the frost.  With care I've had them blooming as late as Thanksgiving.  While I love the colors I don't think my camera does them justice. 


This has got to be my other favorite flower.  They start a little later after all the spring blooms are long gone, but they give a great show until the first frost  I love this picture with the grass in the background and the sun coming through.  For some reason all the flowers wanted to face away from the road this year.  I usually have these out front as well, but I lost quite a few this year.  Turns out they don't like going for a swim in ice cold flood water.  Who would have known.  Hopefully next year they will be back out front where they were sorely missed this late summer. 



Our first "snow".  We didn't get much, but white stuff came out of the sky and created some breath taking views.  This one was my foxglove that decided to bloom even though it just started to grow this summer.  I love it with the snow in the background. 


This is the only picture not from my house or yard.  This was taken at the Logee's annual open house.  It's an angel's trumpet that looks and smells awesome.  I actually never knew until this November that they had any smell.  Now I can't wait to try to add some to my garden.  In the meantime I did purchase this one.  My friend wants to see if we can get it to grow to the second floor windows in my house.  That's probably about 20+ feet up.  I'm sure it will take a while, but it's a funny thought. 

I hope you've enjoyed some of these.  I love gardening and seeing the combinations that can be made.  I love my fresh food, herbs, and bouquets that I usually manage to find almost every week.  And the absolute best part of gardening is knowing that there really isn't such thing as total failure.  Ultimately you've just learned how to make things better next time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment