Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Winter garden update

            Well another year with the winter garden.  This makes year two.  Over all I’m not sure if it was better or worse then last year.  It was planned a little bit better.  My plants were all started from seed and we had a good variety going.  However, a nice little caterpillar decided to take up home in my tomatoes so the little bugger ate all my tomato leaves and blossoms so that never really ever recovered.  Otherwise I really would have been in AWESOME shape for the winter with at least cherry tomatoes.  We had fresh peppers all the way until Christmas this year which was fantastic.  The herbs still need a little work, but maybe this year.  This biggest thing that killed us this year was actually the wood stove.  What we thought would be fantastic for the heat that it would give off but it ended up being our downside this year only because we didn’t keep up with the watering.  Great news is that now we know that the water reserves that were our down fall last year might well be the best thing ever come next year when we go for try number three.  We’ll be starting it up early this year.  Once everything else is in we’ll get it going for next year and make sure all the herbs are nice and happy by the time august comes around.  Live and learn and I am bound and determine to get this right yet. 

Update: So knowing that this has sat for a while it's time to let everyone know that the new and improved can be found over at www.gardeningfoodies.com I've learned a lot over the years and I'm super excited to share that with everyone.  So come check us out and see what we now have in store for you.  A lot of food, a little bit of bon COOK business and a sprinkling of gardening to bring everything together.  Or just check out our growing community over at www.gardeningfoodies.com/fbgroup Can't wait to see you there and catch up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment