Welcome

Hello and welcome to my garden! I have a zone 6 garden located in south eastern Connecticut with a little bit of everything. There's a lot of it and it's still growing. Sometimes I think it might be too much and then the gardener in me comes out and says NOPE. My ultimate goal is to be able to eat my way around my yard. In addition I love what my friends affectionately called my jungle. My collection of tropicals brings the outside in and gives the place a tropical feel at times. While some of my garden is your run of the mill some isn't. Come join me on my wild adventure.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Seed starting 2012

Over the last few years I've been trying to move towards starting more and more of my own plants. And for the most part I've been pretty successful. Especially after switching to the aps units from gardener supply. Those have been a life saver. Of course they only work when you keep water in the bottom. With the unseasonably warm weather we've been having I may have let mine dry out a little too much this year. Oops I'll be trying some extra tomatoes this year just in case.

This year I'm also making the switch to mostly open pollinated varieties that I can keep from year to year. I was especially excited after getting some tomato seeds for the first time. It's amazing how just getting the how to makes all the difference in the world. So between the extra confidence I've gained and finding out that good old Monsanto actually owns most of the varieties you see on the stores I've taken the leap. Crossing my fingers it works out.

Update: So knowing that this has sat for a while it's time to let everyone know that the new and improved can be found over at www.gardeningfoodies.com I've learned a lot over the years and I'm super excited to share that with everyone.  So come check us out and see what we now have in store for you.  A lot of food, a little bit of bon COOK business and a sprinkling of gardening to bring everything together.  Or just check out our growing community over at www.gardeningfoodies.com/fbgroup Can't wait to see you there and catch up.

Orange Okra
I moved all my seeds outside to enjoy the warmth of the driveway.  Too bad mother nature decided it was too early. 
Moved all the tomatoes and pepers inside after mother nature decided to give us another good freeze.  Most of the tomatoes got a little too dry so they all got another round of seeds
The winter garden didn't do so well this year wit the catipillar eating everything so I deicided to pull it all up and put the space to better use.  Worked out pretty well.  Not sure what I'll do next year though. 
I'm like a little kid at christmas waiting for the seedlings to pop up.  Doesn't matter how many times I do it it just never seems to get old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment